Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This post has nothing to do with herbs. I'll just make that clear from the beginning.

This post is about knitting, and charity knitting in particular. My mom gave me a huge bag of leftover yarn scraps. I had been making tons of fun and crazy sideways scarves using scraps, and that's certainly fun. But...these scraps inspired me to google "charity knitting", and I found this project: Knit a Square.

Here's the basic idea: Use your scraps, and knit or crochet simple 8 inch squares. Send your squares in, and volunteers will sew them together to make colorful, warm blankets to be given to the many, MANY needy AIDS orphans in Africa.

You can knit or crochet your squares, they have GREAT instructions for both. You can use absolutely any kind of yarn you have on hand. Don't know how to knit or crochet? This is the perfect way to learn! They have clear instructions on their site, including free how to knit e-classes!  I love that these are small, mindless projects. They're easy to carry around - I always have knitting on hand, you never know when you'll be stuck waiting somewhere. I also knit while listening to music, books on tape, or watching TV.


Donna and I are going to be working on some squares for this project. If you're local, and want to knit some up, feel free to give them to us when you're done and we will gladly pay the postage and ship them in. If you need yarn, let me know - we have lots of scraps and are glad to share.

4 comments:

The Original Soap Dish® said...

Crazy! Britni and I found this when we were looking for beginning knitting instructions last week. I was going to send the link to you, but never got round to it. I've figured out how to double cast on, knit and purl. I'm finding the purl stitch to be a little awkward and difficult. Please tell me it will get easier with practice.

italianmamma said...

I've GOT to have one (or more!) of your amazing, beautiful scarves, Maggie and I MUST learn to make the squares. I unfortunately never learned to knit from my Mom but she would be so proud if I took up such a worthwhile cause. She knitted countless Prayer Shawls and gave them away before she left this world 4 years ago.
Can't wait to see you and your Mom, hopefully soon as I know better weather HAS to be right around the corner, right?

girlwithasword said...

Becky, too cool! Great minds think alike hmm? I haven't forgotten putting together a knitting kit for you, if you still want it...just got sidetracked, I am so sorry. :( and YES purl will get easier with practice, although frankly I am still not a huge fan.

girlwithasword said...

Italianmamma, if you want a scarf, a scarf you shall have! I have several for sale in the shop, I can send pics if you like, or can custom knit you one in the color(s) of your choice. Just say the word. :) I encourage you to learn to knit the squares, it's a FANTASTIC, useful, and easy way to learn! That is SO kind of your mom to knit those prayer shawls, I think that is a wonderful and emotionally powerful thing...for both the giver and reciever. :)