Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Homemade herbal candies? How COOL!

I haven't tried this yet, but it is now on my "someday" list! Here's a great "instructables" tutorial on making your own herbal homeade candies, customized to your needs and tastes.


I love their idea of taking a pre-blended tea and brewing it to make your homemade candy, that would be a great and easy way to start. However, I am also thinking it would be really fun to blend your own. How about....horehound, peppermint and sage for coughs? Ginger, lemon, elderberry and honey for flu. Years ago, my friend Abi sent me homemade garlic candies (I kid you not) they were strangely addictive and strongly anti viral! What blends would you try?

I wouldn't use corn syrup, personally (ugh) but would substitute some honey, as one of our facebook fans suggested, golden syrup (a cane sugar syrup). Or perhaps molasses, or agave? There are lots of more natural sweeteners, I'd give those a shot.....

Taking something artificially flavored, sweetened, and colored is not a great idea at any time, but ESPECIALLY when you're sick. It seems like having homemade herbal cough drops and candies on hand is a fantastic addition to any home herbal medicine chest.




All that sounds like a great idea, but way too much work for you? My awesome friend Tina has done the work for you. Check out her delicious homemade herbal candies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.