Friday, March 06, 2009

As some of you know, I (Maggie) am a writer for Herb Quarterly magazine. In the current issue,I have an article about "green"gardening (ironic, no?), and I talk alot about re-using items you already have, or scavenging things from craig's list and freecycle. I mention our little greenhouse as an example - It was actually given to us, years ago - an older woman we knew was no longer able to use it, and wanted it to have a good new home. Her husband had built it for her, using primarily recycled window frames and ingeneuity. It's an adorable little greenhouse and has given many people years of use - while keeping loads of windows out of the landfills!

Kate, an HQ reader, wrote to me asking for pictures of our little greenhouse. I dug this out from our archives. If I can find better ones, I'll post them later, but for now, Kate (and all other curious HQ readers) - here it is!

4 comments:

Gail said...

Oh this looks like a good article, will go and read it. Love the greenhouse in the picture.

Lisa Brawner said...

i will drive around on trash days and look for scrap woods and such to use. I decided to build some small cold frames this spring. I was thrilled when i found one window frame with its glass last trash day. I plan to watch for one more . Then i add hinges to them to put on wood frames.

Anonymous said...

I would love to get a closer look at this sometime when I am out to scavage the store. I have been thinking about a greenhouse as a next step for the farm, and really love to use recycled materials. We curb shop pretty regularly as it is in the spring, so now I know what to start looking for...

girlwithasword said...

You're welcome to look at it anytime as long as you promise not to tell anyone how messy it is inside right now :)