Saturday, May 19, 2007


So....the last 2 weeks we have been engaging in some MAJOR farm cleanup. Why are all farms filled with old junk, cars, stuff, cement, bricks, and just general JUNK? We rented a rolloff box....



And some major equipment, because we needed to dig up some random, huge, HUGE chunks of concrete....



and pretty much filled the rolloffbox. I'm going to be REALLY interested to see how heavy that is! but it feels good to get rid of that junk. Now we can till/plant a big area behind our barn - we'll probably just seed it to pasture for now, as we don't really need any more space for herbs at the moment. (Maggie's secret plan to get some alpacas or other fiber animals is one step closer to fuition, hee hee hee!!!)


Stu and Beaker "helped" us clean up the farm...mostly by sleeping in the shade and watching us work. They're hysterical, and growign like CRAZY. Stu (the duck, the brown fellow) is getting his real feathers in! I'll try and get a picture. He looks sorta ratty right now, pooor fellow - I bet it itches when those feathers come in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog today, first time to get it. I have Google send me all things alpaca related and this is how I received your latest adventure. First, old farms have tons of junk because it is a lot cheaper to just toss the unuseable into a pile and then hope it disintegrates, and/or a use comes up for one of the pieces. Second, alpacas are the most wonderful animals because they are quiet, mild-tempered, easy to work with, intelligent (yes, really), and give fabulous fleece. I am a spinner and enjoy every ounce of fiber I get at shearing time (next Friday). so, keep your dream of owning alpacas alive. They would fit nicely into your herb farming. Good luck with the clean up, and if you want any alpaca info, please write. I LOVE to talk about them, and my spinning, too.
Caroline