Sunday, September 02, 2007




It's that time of year....in the last few days, I've noticed that the sunlight has taken on a particular golden hue, that signifies that fall is coming. That light kicks me into some sort of super-harvester mode, and I start stocking up for winter (am I part squirrel or bear, do you think? :) ). I've made a few gallons of herbal vinegar for personal use, and to give as holiday gifts. This particular batch is just a mixed herb blend: I used fresh savory, thyme, parsley, dill, basil, sage, oregano, and a few hot peppers! Let it sit for 2 weeks, then strained it out and packaged it in these cute little bottles I found on clearance - and added a small sprig of fresh herb to each. Aren't they lovely? You should all be doing this too, folks - makes wonderful holiday gifts. :)

We grew african blue basil this year too - just a few plants. I haven't ever grown that basil before, and i'm entranced by it's beauty and interesting scent. A member of the des moines herbs study group told me last week that it makes her most favorite of all herbal vinegars! So I will be making some of that, for sure. I'll let you know how it is....

No comments: